Sunday, July 13, 2008

Why I could never vote for John McCain

I've never really liked to be part of a group or labeled in a way that would seemingly define my identity. For that reason I've never referred to myself as a Democrat. Instead, when asked, my reply was always "fiscally conservative and socially liberal". Putting aside my feelings and enthusiasm about Barack Obama I could never vote for John McCain for the following reasons:
1) Isn't one dense, narrow minded, inarticulate President enough? What is it with middle America that sees education, curiosity and a progressive open-minded view a negative thing? Case in point, Bush famously referred to the "Internets" clueless and not even embarrassed after being corrected it's not plural. Now we have McCain quoted from an interview with the NY Times:

He said, ruefully, that he had not mastered how to use the Internet and relied on his wife and aides like Mark Salter, a senior adviser, and Brooke Buchanan, his press secretary, to get him online. “They go on for me,” he said. “I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I don’t expect to be a great communicator, I don’t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need.”


Please tell me, how hard is it to "get on the Internet"? Is it the 1st click or the 2nd one that's so complicated?

As the interview continued Mr. McCain said he did not use a BlackBerry, though he regularly reads messages on those of his aides. “I don’t e-mail, I’ve never felt the particular need to e-mail,” Mr. McCain said.


Maybe it's just me but I don't want any elected official let alone President stuck in the previous century. I wonder if he's still renting video's saying "who needs those "newfangled DVDS"?

2)I understand that there are Evangelical Christians that don't believe in evolution and they are entitled to believe whatever they want. But last I heard there was supposed to be a separation of church and state. Those on the far right have been using all of their leverage to push their beliefs on the rest of us across many issues. One being teaching evolution as a "concept" rather than a science and Intelligent Design as another option to be considered. I'm sorry but you learn science in school and religion must be saved for the home and place of worship. In this same interview, John McCain declined to take a specific position when asked whether only evolution should be taught in public schools. “It’s up to the school boards,” he said. “That’s why we have local control over education.” Mr. McCain has said he believes in evolution.

3)The right wing needs to stay out of peoples bedrooms. Their fear of anything they don't understand and certainly anything that relates to sex is quite telling. Bill Maher says that Republicans are sexually repressed and that's why so many vote one way while hiding their real life sexuality behind their rhetoric and wives backs. Why is Gay marriage a threat to heterosexuals? Why is it a problem for Gay people to adopt? Why is it ok to execute a living breathing person but it's not ok eliminate a group of cells that could, someday become a living breathing person? John McCain wants to appoint Supreme Court Justices to overturn Roe V Wade, he is against Gay marriage and adoption. Strike 1, strike 2, strike 3 yerrrrrrrrrr out!


As a side note, my girlfriend Brenda teased me on how picky I am when it comes to dating and definitively stated "you would never date a Republican!" That's simply not true, however I would have a problem understanding and relating to anyone that had the opposite point of view on these topics. We did agree however, that I couldn't date anyone that didn't know the difference between their and there :-)

No comments: