Thursday, March 6, 2008

1st Day in Austin

On my flight to Austin I was face to face with one reason why this election and this campaign is so important to me. A young man, severely disfigured was welcomed back home from Iraq by his loved ones at the Austin airport. I cried. This war never should have happened and few had the nerve to speak out against it. Barack Obama was one of those rare exceptions.

We canvased a neighborhood today going door to door with our primary objective to remind Obama supporters to go to caucus on Tuesday evening. It rained and it was quite the test of our stamina as the area was plagued by enormous hills and long stretches between each home. The state is big, the homes are big and all of my gym days and running a 5 mile stretch didn't seem to be helping me conquer the uphill trek through this suburb. However, we did make great strides having meaningful conversations with undecided voters and informing Barack supporters about the caucus and advising why they needed to attend. The results well worth every ounce of sweat and a few blisters :-)

Lot's of people here to volunteer from all over the country and I'm so excited to be here to help!! More tomorrow

No comments: