Monday, April 21, 2008

Canvassing in Philadelphia Day 4

Ohhhhh how I hate to wake up early but the sacrifice for Barack is well worth it!! I met up with my new buddies Josh and Doug this morning and we were joined by another UFCW member Rick. We got an early start to canvassing and along with hitting I believe about 300 homes we still made time to search for the best cheesesteak in Philly. Doug took us to Jim's and it was much better than Pat's!

There were some challenges today but nothing that a few repeated chant's of "yes we can's" to myself couldn't get me past. Doug was thoughtful enough to be sure I got my "butt exercise" in by allowing me the opportunity to work the neighborhood of condo's with an equal number of set's of stairs that I got to go up and down. The timing of this couldn't have been better as it was just about the only time of the day that was quite warm. Thanks Doug! OK...he did bring me a nonfat latte to redeem himself. One nasty lady snapped at me but that got balanced out by a number of supporters that thanked me profusely for helping get the vote out for Barack. The balance sheet was further offset to the positive by definitely getting some on the fence people to the Obama side and that was incredibly fulfilling. The icing on the cake is spending time outside the LA bubble of "hollyweird" which is so refreshing. I just can’t explain how cool it is to work all day with total strangers with seemingly nothing in common other than our passion to get Barack elected, yet by the end of the day find all of these common threads. In driving to and from the areas we were canvassing and short chats in between we talked about religion, family, ethics. TV, movies,music and more. On 1st glance no one (including us) would guess we would find so many common bonds and areas of agreement, but we became fast friends.

Another noteworthy story...I met this guy that lives in Sweden and came here to volunteer via Costa Rica (for vacation) then New Jersey (to visit his family). It’s so amazing to see the reach Obama has not just in the US but all over the world. He was so compelled to help in Pennsylvania that he used it as an excuse to visit his family in New Jersey not the other way around, crazy huh?
Your eyes don't lie, yep, that's Sly between Doug and I

Yes, in the Glushon book of priorities, it's always about the food!


Who can say no to cheese fries?

No comments: